Harrisa Lamb, Chickenpeas & Pumpkin Pie
14:41 22 May in Cooking Recipes
- 1 lamb shoulder, boned and rolled
- 3 Tbsp Cosmo’s Spicy Harissa Seasoning
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 litre beef stock
- 5 star anise
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
To Assemble Pie
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 1 Tbsp cornflour
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 400g can chickenpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup peeled, diced and roasted pumpkin
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- poppy seeds, to sprinkle
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Slice lamb shoulder open and, using a knife, cut a 1 cm score on both sides of the lamb, rub in Cosmo's Spicy Harissa Seasoning and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large ovenproof saucepan or roasting tray on a stovetop over high heat. Sear lamb on all sides until golden. Add the rest of the braising ingredients.
- Cover pan with a lid or tinfoil and bake for 3 hours. Remove meat and leave to cool briefly.
- To assemble pie, quickly sauté carrots and onions in a small saucepan to soften.
- Remove lamb from roasting tray and, using a fork, shred the meat into fine strips and set aside. Strain braising liquid and discard vegetables, herbs and star anise.
- Pour braising liquid into a pot and slowly bring to a simmer, skimming off any fat. Thicken with cornflour loosened in a small amount of water.
- Add the shredded lamb, sautéed carrots and onions, Dijon mustard, chickpeas and pumpkin to the liquid.
- Spoon into 8 small ramekin or pie moulds and cover with puff pastry.
Press down edges with a fork to seal then glaze with egg wash and sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake at 170°C for 30 minutes or until golden.